What are doTERRA Serenity Products?
doTERRA Serenity products are designed to support relaxation and restorative sleep. These best selling products help to soothe away the cares of the day so that you and your family can enjoy a peaceful night’s rest.
doTERRA Serenity products come in two varieties:
To promote the restful sleep that you need for optimum health, try integrating doTERRA Serenity Restful Blend and Complex Softgels into your daily bedtime routine.
dōTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Clinical Trial
In 2019, a human clinical trial study was published that investigated sleep quality with the doTERRA Serenity Complex supplements.
The Need for Sleep
Recent scientific research has provided an almost endless amount of data regarding the importance of sleep and health. Meeting recommended sleeping guidelines and having good sleep hygiene is associated with
- Increased quality of life
- Prolonged health
- Decreased risk for many health problems
- Positive influence on nutrition and exercise habits
- Direct impact on weight management
More than 25% of U.S. adults are not meeting generally recommended guidelines for sleep and over 9 million regularly using products to help with sleep.
62 healthy adults with self-reported occasional trouble sleeping were recruited. The participants were divided into placebo and test groups and subjected to a 6-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study. The study included a 1-week washout period during which no study products or other sleep aids were used, followed by a 2-week intervention in which participants were provided either the study product or a placebo, then another 1-week washout, and concluding with another 2-week intervention that included the opposite product, sequentially.
During the intervention periods, participants were asked to swallow two softgels every night, 30 minutes before going to sleep. Participants and researchers were both blinded to which product was being used during the intervention periods. Participants also filled out a validated sleep quality assessment tool prior to the study and at the end of each week during the 6-week study period, as well as a diary that included general information about sleep time, exercise, caffeine intake and other objective metrics associated with sleep efficiency. A total of 51 participants completed the study.
During the intervention periods including the study product, participants reported statistically significant improvements in falling asleep, balance and coordination upon awakening, ease of awakening, and alertness following awakening as compared to the placebo and washout periods.
Furthermore, all parameters evaluated from the sleep diaries, with the exception of waking duration, showed better scores when the participants were taking the study product than when taking the placebo.
50 doTERRA Serenity Reviews & Testimonials
- I had EXTREME INSOMNIA. I'd try to go to bed at 11 pm, but then I'd have to get up and have warm milk just to try to relax. But even after the warm milk, I couldn't get to bed until after 2 am...sometimes 4 am. So, at the end of my rope, I ordered doTerra's Serenity. I mixed it with fractionated coconut oil and slathered it on my feet and my calves. Within 10 minutes, a warm calm washed over me. And within 40 minutes, I was so relaxed that I wanted to go to bed. I went to bed and--for the first time in YEARS--my brain wasn't thinking about a zillion things at once! In fact, my brain was not cluttered with random thoughts AT ALL. Not only was I able to sleep AN ENTIRE NIGHT, but it was also the most peaceful sleep I ever remember having...and NO DREAMS either! - Tabber
- Our 10 month old refused to sleep on her own. Once we started using this for a few nights, she's been sleeping 10-12 hours. My husband was not happy with the price when I first bought it, but now he has purchased it for multiple family members with sleeping issues. - Kristen
- I made a perfume rollerball with it and use it as my perfume every day. I've even used it on one of my dogs to help calm her down when she's worked up and she absolutely loves the smell. I love the vanilla undertones of it. I also diffuse it during meditation. This is definitely one of my favorite essential oil scents. - Royal
- The Serenity blend is a fantastic oil to place in a diffuser for a deep night's sleep, to relieve headaches and lessen allergy symptoms. My husband enjoys this particular oil for distressing after a long hard day at work. It not only brings him to a state of homeostasis but acts as an almost instant stress reliever at the end of a hard or busy day. - Pamela
- Serenity made me feel serene and at peace during a time when I was fighting cancer. I highly recommend it. - Sheri
- Awesome for restful sleep, restless legs, and relaxation! A drop on your pillow, or the bottoms of your feet before bed. Best sleep ever. - Edward
- I use this oil every night in each of my kid's room diffusers and mine before bedtime. It works better than any supplement or medication out there. I also drop some in my hands and inhale it when I am stressed out or having a rough day. It soothes me. It smells amazing and so peaceful and relaxing! If the kids are going crazy, running around the house and bouncing off the walls and it is getting close to evening wind-down time I add this to the diffuser in our living room and within minutes they are cuddling up to me. This one is a necessity! - Amy
- I struggle with 3 nights of insomnia that occur 2 weeks before every period. Before using this oil, on my worst night, I would get 2 hrs of sleep & the best night would be 4-5 hrs during premenstrual insomnia. Now I diffuse the oil & apply a few drops to the bottom of my feet & my worst night is now 6 hrs of sleep but usually, I get 7-8 hrs now. Yay! - Terry
- I have a really hard time falling asleep at a decent hour. If I am in the mindset to go to sleep, I put this on the bottoms of my feet and rub any excess on the back of the neck, lay down, and let it work its magic. My eyelids get heavy in minutes and I'm off to dreamland. For a mom who struggles with sleep and can't afford to be groggy in the AM, this was the perfect solution. - Lesly
- Love, love, love this oil! I have used sleeping pills for over 15 years because I am unable to go to sleep. For the past 3 nights, I have used this in a diffuser beside my bed and I have slept like a baby! Wish I had discovered this years ago. Highly recommended for those of you have difficulty sleeping. - Kathy
- This product has a beautiful unique smell and I'm not a person who likes a lot of "smells" if you know what I mean. I was originally given a sample of this product by a vet as I just introduced a new dog to my home and I already had a dog. She thought this would help relax them. Believe it or not, it did. All I did was put two drops on two paper towels and put it in the area where each dog was laying. Both dogs relaxed and went to sleep. - Patty
- I love this stuff, so does my cat! You would think it was calming catnip lol. It really helps me sleep, I put a couple of dabs on my pillow before bedtime. - Heather
- I mix it with coconut oil for my 4yr old son. I used to have to fight him to go to sleep. I put this oil on him and he now won't fight me to sleep and seems to relax quicker and fall asleep faster. It is also very effective in adults too. If used with the Balance blend, it is amazingly helpful for anxiety issues. - Bethany
- If I forget to use this I know why I had a poor night's sleep. I use this almost every night and it works great. No sleep aids needed. - Eric
- No doubt this oil helps me sleep. The side effect is strange dreams which have become less vivid after continued use. It is somewhat expensive but it helps me sleep without narcotics or over the counter medicine. - Joe
- All I can say is wow! So calming my rowdy 2-year-old boxer fell asleep on the ground next to it and is snoring loudly as I type this. My husband and I are both extremely relaxed as well. I look forward to using this on nights when we need some assistance falling asleep as well as for relaxing after a stressful day at work. I suffer from anxiety and migraines and based upon some of the previous reviews I am excited for the possibilities this mix will offer to treat them naturally. - Jessica
- I have used this nearly every night after it arrived and it makes me drowsy and comfortable. My husband also sleeps better. Our 4-year-old niece came over last night and took a nap with it on; we had to wake her up after 3 hours cuz she was sleeping too long! I will continue buying this oil and I highly recommend it. - Riza
- I absolutely love this blend from Doterra. At first, the scent did seem a bit strong and different. But, it smells so soothing and peaceful! I diffuse it at night when it has been a long day or having trouble sleeping, or my kids are having a restless night. It really changes the atmosphere and mood and helps calm them down! I will definitely buy this again when I run out. - Emma
- I inhale this product deeply at bedtime for several minutes, and in that respect, all my petty cares about my job and finances or other insecurities become irrelevant. It helps me to sleep better, and just as its name implies, it increases my serenity, and that can hardly be bought at any price. Expensive, but worth it, and highly concentrated, so one bottle should last over a year or two. Very, very concentrated, one drop goes a very long way and lasts a very long time. - Matthew
- We use this topically on our kid's feet at bedtime with a bit of lavender and diluted with FCO - it's wonderful for calming them and helping with rest. It's great in a diffuser in your bedroom as well. - CJ
- Very happy with this oil blend. We use it at bedtime for our daughter and ourselves. My husband noticed right away that he didn't toss and turn like he normally does. It mostly smells like lavender. I mix it with the Balance for a nice roll on during the day. - Hayley
- I use this every night to help me sleep, it really helps me. I also use it on my 18 month old son. Great for putting on at night to help unwind, relax, and put a calming smell in the house naturally. - Erin
- This oil has more of a vanilla scent than lavender but I find it somewhat pleasant. It does have a significant calming effect on the body and mind. It's not overpowering but really relaxes the mind more than other oils I have tried. A little seems to go a very long way. I use it multiple times per day with good results and there is barely a dent in the bottle I received weeks ago. I will continue to use this product. The calming effect is similar to drinking chamomile and lavender tea.- Mrs. F
- This blend is a must-have in my life. I diffuse it every night in my oil diffuser. It helps calm me down, relaxes, and unwinds me before bed each night. I have also mixed it with fractionated coconut oil and put it in a glass roller container to use as a perfume. This is my favorite scent! - Lily
- Great amazing oil blend that I now use it as perfume, instead! I only get compliments on how beautiful it smells! I love the smell and I really sleep well when I put it on the bottoms of my feet. - Connie
- Very soothing. Highly recommended after a hectic day mixed with a 15-minute meditation and a little mood music.The perfect way to end the day. - Judy
- This blend smells so nice. My husband who sometimes doesn't like different smells loves this. I put is on a cotton square under his pillow slip. He will remind me if I forget. Awesome sleep for both of us. - Bonnie H.
- The smell is very pleasant, and I used it on a tension headache- it was gone immediately. I haven't had it long enough to be sure if it's helping me sleep, but I know that I have had better quality sleep this week. - Frank
- This is an amazing oil to use on children and yourself before bed. Also, I suffer from anxiety spells and panic attacks, this oil is a very calming scent and is great used in a diffuser while meditating or doing yoga. - Rhonda
- I have had issues sleeping for as long as I can remember. It generally takes me a solid hour or two to fall asleep every single night. I have tried things like melatonin, no caffeine at all that day, pre-bed yoga, lavender oil in my diffuser... it just doesn't work. My daughter, who also has insomnia, suggested these. Since the day these (Softgels and essential oil) were delivered, I have slept! It takes me about 10 minutes to fall asleep after I lay down, which is amazing! I rarely claim these products work perfectly, but really, this one does! Best of all, I can't feel any residual effects of it the next morning. With others, I would get the AM doze feeling... like I was walking in a fog almost. With this, I wake up well-rested and with energy. I couldn't recommend these any higher! They are absolutely worth the purchase. - Ambyr
- I suffer from insomnia and have for around 3 years now. I had taken Ambien for 6 months but didn't like some of the side effects of it and it's addictive quality. A friend who is a DoTERRA vendor sent me a few of these to try and I loved them. When I take more than 1 I feel a bit groggy so I take one of these capsules and one Melatonin 5mg tablet and I sleep very well. I have reordered several times. - Gigi
- It does a nice job of helping you to fall asleep. Doesn't knock you out or anything. Gentle but effective. - William
- These help me fall asleep & wake up without that drugged feeling like prescription sleep drugs do. It does take an hour for it to work on me. - Uppy
- This helps me calm down, sleep amazing, and wake up energized. - JD
- This seems to help me rest better at night- enough that I have come back for repeat purchases. I appreciate that it doesn't have melatonin in it as that gives me nightmares. - Harry
- I normally will take melatonin to help me sleep but I don’t like the tired feeling I have the next day. These help me fall asleep but not give the groggy feeling. - Alicia
- After suffering from sleep maintenance insomnia for more than 2 decades, this is the sole product which delivers that which it promises: a restful good night's sleep. 1 pill is enough for me. - JMK
- I like this because it is all-natural! No drug hangover in the morning when you awake. Very natural sleep. I take two when I feel I will need help in sleeping. - Tesio
- My daughter has been suffering from insomnia for about a year. Finally convinced her to give these a try. The first night (she took two) it took her a bit to fall asleep, but once she did, she slept all night. She was a bit groggy in the morning, but it quickly wore off. 2nd night, the same thing. 3rd night tried just one, same to fall asleep but only briefly woke up once during the night. Already this little soft gel has been a game changer for her. It's safe to say, these are 100% worth it and I am so happy to have found a natural way to help her sleep. - Niki
- I finally found something to help me fall and stay asleep without feeling drowsy in the morning. I wake up well-rested and ready to start my day. These are much better than NyQuil or Advil PM. - Tiffany
- I have had problems sleeping through the night for the past 10 years. I've tried everything from over the counter to prescriptions. I bought these a few days ago. I take 2 at night. 3 nights in a row I've slept through the night! So thankful. - Jennifer
- I have tried ALL sorts of things (including prescribed meds) for sleep. I do not like the idea of taking medicine to sleep so I have been on the search for something alternative. This is THE BEST product EVER!! Better than Melatonin by far! One or two caps at night and it just feels natural. NO hangover in the morning, no groggy feeling, nothing, just rest!! Love it! - Terri
- I wanted to break away from prescription meds, I have been on Sonata for years for insomnia. I was surprised how well these worked and I was not groggy in the morning. I will continue to use these and am very happy with them. - Trina
- I used to suffer from extreme psychophysiological insomnia. My doctor had me on a very high dose of Gabapentin to help me sleep at night. That worked great, but there were some negative side effects from that medication. I started to take two of these doTerra Serenity pills each night and was able to wean completely off the Gabapentin. I still have to take 2 of this per night (one will definitely not get me the rest I need), but I sleep like a baby! I'd rather be on something natural than something pharmaceutical. - Smallu
- I used for an anxious day or for exam stress. Very good. I rub a few drops into my hand and take deep inhales from the beginning right to the end of my exam time. Great sleep aid. These are a wonderful alternative to sleeping pills. Non-addictive, and they really work! - Mary
- I have been following the recommendations for this and taking 2 pills nightly. About 30 minutes after taking them I feel I am getting drowsy and relaxed. - Mike
- Love, love, love these! My teen daughter went from having mood swings that she didn't understand to being calm and happy. She still has moods and is still the same person but she doesn't get so angry that she doesn't understand it. I will absolutely be buying these again. - MamaT
- I got a sample of these from an online sleep study and I absolutely love these soft gels!!!!!!! I am approaching menopause and I am having a hard time with anxiety and a hard time falling and staying asleep. I used to wake up at least once a night not taking these. Now I don't get up until my alarm goes off. These calm my nerves naturally and help me get the sleep I need. I love these! I would recommend to anyone wanting to use something natural. - Clarice
- If anyone is looking for a natural way to deal with anxiety, you have got to TRY THESE! They have Lavender essential oil, L-Theanine (found in Green tea) along with lemon balm, passionflower, and chamomile. I can't believe I waited so long to get them. I have been taking one in the morning at work and I really notice a difference. Some people take 2 as a dose but I notice a difference with just 1. It's a calming feeling but without feeling sleepy or groggy. Taking them before bed too has helped me relax and quiet my brain to get a good night's sleep. I will be ordering these from now on. I am sold. Wish I found out about these sooner - Jess
- This is amazing! I have never really had the easiest time falling asleep and would toss and turn throughout the night waking up tired. Often times feel that taking a sleep aid not only helps me fall asleep faster but keeps me sleeping throughout the night so when I heard doTerra was releasing the softgels, I had to give them a try. Let me just say that since I've started taking them (1 at night time; the label does say 1 or 2) I have had the most restful sleep in a long time. I don't feel like they put me into such a deep sleep that I wake up groggy (like some over the counter or prescription-strength meds do) but instead wake up feeling recharged and ready to go. I no longer feel that I NEED coffee in the morning. - Marley
Serenity Restful Blend Essential Oil
Directions for Use
Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice. Apply one to two drops to desired area. May dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut oil to minimize any skin sensitivity
- Diffuse at night to calm a restless baby or child.
- Apply to bottoms of feet at bedtime to help unwind before going to sleep. Use in conjunction with doTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels for an enhanced effect.
- Inhale directly from hands or diffuse throughout the day to help lesson tension.
- Add 2–3 drops into a warm bath with Epsom salts to create a relaxing, renewing experience.
- Apply 2–3 drops to the back of the neck or on the heart for feelings of calmness and peace.
Purchase doTERRA Serenity Restful Blend here
doTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels
Directions for Use
Take 1 to 2 softgels before sleep.
- Relieves occasional sleeplessness
- Promotes healthy relaxation and sleep
- Helps you get the refreshing sleep you need without leaving you feeling groggy or sleepy the next day
- Helps make a difference in the quality and the ease of going to sleep
- Encourages restful sleep
- Calms the nervous system
- Helps to reduce stress
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do dōTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels need to be taken with food?
A: No. We recommend that heavy meals be avoided prior to going to bed, because they can make sleeping difficult.
Q: Do the softgels contain dōTERRA Serenity essential oil blend?
A: No, the softgels do not. They combine Lavender essential oil with L-Theanine and three botanical extracts.
Q: Are the dōTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels safe to take every night?
A: Yes, there are no safety concerns so long as the suggested use is followed. We recommend that you consult with your healthcare professional prior to taking any supplement if you are being monitored for any health condition or taking any medication.
Q: Can I take more than the recommended amount?
A: We recommend that you follow the suggested use, which was selected based on extensive review of scientific literature showing efficacy at the dose provided.
Q: Is dōTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels safe for children?
A: They are not recommended for children under 12 years old.
Both products may be purchased together in a combo pack for extra savings.
- Tags: Serenity