Why diffuse essential oils?
Our sense of smell is one of our most powerful senses. Your body contains over 1,000 receptors for smell—more receptors than for any other sense.
By putting essential oils directly into the air we breathe, we can influence the feeling of our environment, and, more powerfully, our own emotions.
Diffusing is an easy, convenient, and mess-free way to enjoy the aromatic benefits of essential oils.
- Want to fill your home with the aroma of essential oils?
- Want to fill your workspace with uplifting, energizing feelings?
- Want to create a calm environment to help kids fall asleep?
Keep reading to learn everything you'll want to know before buying a doTERRA essential oil diffuser.
What are the different types of diffusers?
Each diffuser has its own unique method for getting essential oils into the air so you can utilize their therapeutic benefits.
A nebulizing diffuser breaks down the essential oil into tiny particles through the use of a high velocity, pressurized air stream and jet nozzle.
When the oil is released from the diffuser, it diffuses the entire oil at once instead of in stages. It goes into the air in a fine mist.
- Pros: No water. No heat.
- Cons: Most expensive. Oil goes fast. Some models are noisy
This popular type of diffuser uses water and electronic frequencies to create a fine mist from the essential oil and water.
Ultrasonic vibrations are created by a small disk under the surface of the water which causes the essential oil to break up into tiny micro particles.
- Pros: Use small amount of essential oil. No heat. Little noise
- Cons: Only a small fraction of the mist is essential oil
Heat diffusers use heat elements to help the essential oil gradually evaporate into the air. Sometimes heat essential oil diffusers use the oil mixed with water.
- Pros: No Noise.
- Cons: Heat lessens or changes entirely the therapeutic benefit of the oil.
Evaporative diffusion uses air flow to spread the scent of the essential oils into the area
A fan blows air through a filter, such as a tissue or a pad that has essential oils dropped onto it.
- Pros: Quiet.
- Cons: Less therapeutic because the lighter essential oil components evaporate first, while the heavier components evaporate last.
doTERRA Essential Oil Diffusers
doTERRA sells high quality ultrasonic diffusers. Great for the home, bedroom, office and even on the go. Choose the diffuser best for you.
#1 doTERRA Pilot Diffuser
|doTERRA Pilot Diffuser|
|Features: Portable, rechargeable and made from eco-friendly materials|
|Coverage: 250 sq. ft.|
|Run Time: 4 hours continuous; 8 hours intermittent|
|Includes: Dual-port USB 2A car adapter and carrying case|
|Light: Optional light|
|Retail Price: $49.95|
|Customer Reviews: 4.9 out of 5|
#2 doTERRA Petal Diffuser
|doTERRA Petal Diffuser|
|Features: Version 2.0, multiple settings and beautiful design|
|Coverage: 330 sq. ft.|
|Run Time: 2 and 6 hours continues; 12 hours intermittent|
|Includes: Wild Orange (5 mL) and Lavender (5 mL)|
|Light: Optional night light|
|Retail Price: $62.67|
|Customer Reviews: 4.8 out of 5|
#3 doTERRA Volo Diffusers
|doTERRA Volo Marble Diffuser & doTERRA Volo Onyx Diffuser|
|Features: Handcrafted polyresin stone top, custom diamond patterns and customizable output settings|
|Coverage: 300 sq. ft.|
|Run Time: 1, 3, or 6 hours or continuously 14 hours on lowest mist output setting|
|Includes: Reusable storage box|
|Light: Auto-dimming timer light. Optional light-free, warm, or bright ambient light|
|Retail Price: $78.67|
|Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5|
#4 doTERRA Lumo Diffuser
|doTERRA Lumo Diffuser|
|Features: Custom design influenced by nature, maple wood base, multiple mist and light settings|
|Coverage: 540 sq. ft.|
|Run Time: 2 or 5 hours continuous. 10 hours intermittent|
|Includes: doTERRA Serenity (15ml)|
|Light: Seven optional lighting colors|
|Retail Price: $93.33|
|Customer Reviews: 4.7 out of 5|
#5 doTERRA Aroma Lite Diffuser
|doTERRA Aroma Lite Diffuser|
|Features: High functioning, high mist output, compact, travel friendly|
|Coverage: 500 sq. ft.|
|Run Time: 4 or 8 hour continuous|
|Light: Optional night light|
|Retail Price: $119.93|
|Customer Reviews: 4.5 out of 5|
Does doTERRA sell other types of diffusers?
doTERRA mostly sells ultrasonic diffusers because of their ability to delivery the full therapeutic benefits of the essential oils. From time to time they have sold others.
- Nebulizer Diffusers: Discontinued doTERRA Aroma Ace, doTERRA Cloud Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Diffusers: Discontinued doTERRA Lotus Diffuser
- Heat Diffusers: Not sold by doTERRA
- Evaporative Diffusers: Not sold by doTERRA
eBook: Emotional Benefits of Aromatherapy
Used anciently for their ability to influence emotions, essential oils are still useful today for managing mood and promoting uplifting feelings. Those who don’t know about the rich history of essential oils and aromatherapy might assume that using essential oils for emotions (and other purposes) is merely a new trend or fad that will soon pass.
However, the popularity of aromatherapy has continued to grow since ancient times as essential oils have constantly proven an effective method for managing emotions.
How to Diffuse Essential Oils
The best way to diffuse is either nebulizing (cold air) or ultrasonic (water) diffusion. Heating oils to diffuse them can alter their delicate chemistry.
How to use an ultrasonic (water) diffuser
- Put cool tap water to the fill line
- Add 3 - 4 drops of essential oils to the water
- Choose the time setting you desire and let it run
How to use a nebulizing (waterless) diffuser
- Take the cap and orifice off of your bottle of essential oil
- Attach it to the diffuser
- Choose your settings for time and amount at a time.
What if I don't have a diffuser?
If you don’t have a diffuser, there are other ways to enjoy the benefits of diffusing.
Try these ideas:
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your palms and cup them over your nose while you inhale deeply. This is an easy technique especially when you’re on the go.
- Add some drops of oil to a glass spray-bottle with water and spritz around the room. The combinations of essential oils you can diffuse are endless.
Popular Diffuser Recipes
Try some of these popular diffuser blends, or have some fun and create your own favorites!