Can Essential Oils Really Help Clear Nasal Congestion?
Whether it’s Spring or Fall, we know one things for sure - seasonal changes unfortunately bring discomfort being able to enjoy the outside for many.
Let me share with you how essential oils can cut seasonal discomforts off at the pass and some quick and easy DIY recipes that have been helpful for my family over years.
What is Nasal Congestion?
You’ll know that it’s the time of the year when your eyes start to watch and itch like crazy, your nose drops, and the back of your throat may be scratchy too.
Anything that irritates or inflames the nasal tissues are the common cause of nasal congestion. When the membranes lining your nasal passages stop being moist and become inflamed and irritated, your nose gets stuffed because your nasal cavities block the flow of air.
Here are some common causes of nasal congestion:
- Exposure to perfume scents
- Tobacco smoke
- Chemical produced strong scents
- Pollen, dust, dry air, and humidity
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
Do Essential Oils Work for Nasal Congestion?
Essential oils contain many organic components that are synthetically produced by many industrial companies. These organic components help clear sinus infections through the soothing nasal tract which helps you breathe better.
Because of their organic components, they help contact mucus receptors, thus providing support in lowering mucus build-ups and mucus flow.
That's why it’s always important to know the purity of an essential oil because a chemically-adulterated (or contaminated) essential oil is less effective and can be dangerous especially when you’re inhaling it directly.
Top essential oils for Nasal Congestion
This Breathe blend includes Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara making it one of the widely-used doTERRA’s essential oil to create feelings of clear and easy breathing.
Peppermint and Eucalyptus
The high menthol content of doTERRA’s Peppermint oil sets it apart from others when it comes to quality and is Kosher certified. Eucalyptus oil, on the other hand, has a camphoraceous and airy aroma with Eucalyptol and alpha-terpineol constituents, making these two mild expectorants great at promoting feelings of clear breathing. Based on a study conducted in 2009.
doTERRA On Guard Protective Blend
doTERRA On Guard, a proprietary essential oil blend, provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support when used internally. Known for its ability to protect against environmental and seasonal threats, this essential oil promotes positive effects on the immune system. This includes Clove Bud, which has the component called Eugenol that helps reduce swelling of the tissues inside your nose.
Some people use over-the-counter (OTC) decongestants which are not for everyone simply because there are some medications that include chemicals that are not recommended for multiple health conditions. This is why Lavender has been a staple in our house. Lavender oil has relieving effects that may reduce discomfort which helps ease feelings of tension and promotes peaceful sleep.
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional medicinal practices. Not only does it contain high phenol content which serves as an antioxidant, but Oregano oil also has many other properties that help loosen up stuffed noses and more.
DIY Essential Oils Recipes for Stuffy Nose
- 2 drops Oregano
- 2 drops Tea Tree
- 2 drops Peppermint
- 2 drops Lemon
- Add to cut of hot water
- Close eyes and take deep inhalations
A warm shower with essential oils helps loosen mucus. Make this a shower streamer and put it on one tablet and let them lay on a shower floor and breathe in.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1 teaspoon of essential oils of your choice for additional fragrance (Peppermint/Lemon/Lavender)
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Make sure they’re clump-free before adding the essential oils.
- Mist on the water while mixing using a spray bottle.
- Press the mixture into molds or lined muffin cups.
- Air-dry the mixture until firm, then unmold before storing.
- Use an airtight container in storing your DIY shower steamers.
Pillow and Linen Spray
Earlier, we talked about how essential oils can help not just in clearing airways but also your mind. This easy recipe can do the magic!
- 120 mL water
- 3 tbsp witch hazel or rubbing alcohol
- 20-30 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Add witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to a small glass or amber spray bottle.
- Add essential oil, replace the top on the spray bottle and shake well.
- Remove the top, add water, replace the top, and continue to shake until fully combined
- Lightly mist your freshly washed pillows or linens. For best results, shake before each use and mist in a wide arc for an even aroma.
TIP: You can use Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Breathe for an extra cooling sensation. Add Lavender and other citrus oils for additional citrus zest.
- Damp and clean washcloth
- 5 drops each of Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils
- Wet a clean washcloth (preferably cotton, or any cloth that can absorb liquid pretty fast)
- Add 5 drops of Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils
- Put in the fridge. Once cooled, apply over your face and inhale the essential oils directly.
Essential oils are all-natural remedies tried and tested for many hundreds, if not thousands of years. Nature has blessed us with many wonderful herbs and plants that can provide properties of calming, soothing and relaxation. And when you do use essential oils, it’s important to use doTERRA 100% Certified Pure Tested Grade for the safest, most effective results.
Have you experienced using doTERRA essential oils yet? Try getting started with a doTERRA Starter Kit!