doTERRA Liquidambar Essential Oil (Sweetgum)
Liquidambar, more commonly referred to as “sweetgum”, produces a resinous sap (liquid amber) that is steam distilled to produce an essential oil with a wide spectrum of benefits.
Liquidambar, latin name "Liquidambar formosana" (with "formosana" meaning "Taiwan"), comes from the deciduous tree of the Hamameliaceae family, that reaches up to 30 meters in height with a dark grayish brown colored bark.
Liquidambar is native to southern China and Taiwan. Grows in moist, fertile acidic soil and neutral loam. The Buyi, Miao and Yao ethnic minorities in Guizhou, China have a long tradition of using Liquidambar Gum for printing and dyeing.
Sweetgum resin comes from the sap of injured Liquidambar trees. Liquidambar essential oil is steam distilled and extracted from the resin. the resin is light yellow, slightly balsamic, bitter and exudes a spicy cinnamon aroma.
The resulting substance is a unique combination of volatile aromatic compounds that are not commonly found in other essential oils. It emits a unique aroma with pine, floral, and spicy notes. While it is primarily known for its benefits when applied topically, it is also commonly used aromatically to promote a calm and restful environment.
Liquidambar essential oil also has a high boiling point and can act as an effective odor fixative when used in fragrance. Therefore, it is a unique fragrance agent, which can be seen in some enhanced high-end perfume formulations.
- Enhance immune system function
- Relaxes the mood and refreshes the spirit
- Promotes an even skin tone and healthy-looking complexion
- Soothing and stress-relieving aroma
- Soak in a relaxing Epsom Salt bath by adding three to four drops to bath water.
- Mix three drops with Fractionated Coconut Oil for soothing massage.
- Diffuse the oil in a room diffuser to promote a centered and calm mindset.
- Combine one to two drops with the doTERRA moisturizer of your choice and apply to the face, neck, and décolletage.
- Apply one drop directly to skin imperfections twice daily.
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use 3-4 drops in a diffuser or aroma sprayer
Topical use: Apply --2 drops to desired area. May dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Pine, floral, and spicy
*Imported from doTERRA's Asian markets
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.