An affordable, online certification program from a source you can trust!
Many people pay hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for similar training.
"This training is absolutely incredible and exactly what I needed! I have learned so much and now feel much more confident going into classes with this knowledge. I can really tell how much effort has been put into creating this course. Thank you!"
- Samara W. Australia
"I never much cared for chemistry in high school, but this course deepens my love for these beautiful plants and essential oils. I'm so grateful that dōTERRA is providing this training—not only for my personal benefit, but so I can share this knowledge with my team."
- Mary B. United States
"I've been using essential oils for six years now, and thought I had already learned everything I needed to know. This course is giving me even more knowledge. I'm grateful for the education!"
- Leilani W. United States
"This training is absolutely amazing! I have been wanting to get certified, and this option has just blown my mind. I am a researcher by heart, so I’ve been loving every bit of it. Thank you for this course!"
- Savannah G. United States
I absolutely love this course—it was so well done. I have been using oils since last year, and this really takes my knowledge to the next level."
- Petra R. Czech Republic
"It is refreshing to see that there is truly a natural science behind these oils. So much work goes into each and every little bottle!"
- A.K. Canada
Frequently Asked Questions:
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
Who can sign up for this course?
Anyone! We welcome all who are wanting to learn more about Essential Oils.
Module 1: What Are Essential Oils? How Are They Extracted?
- Welcome! (3:25) PREVIEW
- Getting to Know You
- 1.1 What Are Essential Oils? (2:17)
- 1.2 Where Do Essential Oils Come From? (3:10) PREVIEW
- Quiz: What Are Essential Oils?
- 1.3 History of Essential Oils (3:57)
- 1.4 Developments in Essential Oil Science (2:33) PREVIEW
- Quiz: History of Essential Oils
- 1.5 Extracting Essential Oils from Plants (1:09)
- 1.6 Steam Distillation (7:14)
- 1.7 Hydrodistillation (1:48)
- 1.8 Fractional Distillation (2:16)
- Quiz: Distillation
- 1.9 Expression or Cold-Pressing (2:26)
- 1.10 Citrus Oils an Photosensitivity (2:08)
- 1.11 Other Extraction Methods (2:01)
- 1.12 Carbon Dioxide Extraction (2:12)
- 1.13 Enfleurage (1:42)
- 1.14 Comparing Different Extraction Methods (1:32)
- Quiz: Expression and Other Extraction Methods
Module 2: Basic Essential Oil Chemistry
- 2.1 Chemistry 101 (1:40)
- 2.2 Basics of Essential Oil Chemistry (2:30)
- 2.3 The Chemistry of Essential Oils (1:17)
- 2.4 Chemistry in Plants (2:04)
- 2.5 Terpenes (2:31)
- Quiz: Chemistry 101
- 2.6 Essential Oil Chemical Families (0:56)
- 2.7 The Alcohol Family (1:54)
- 2.8 The Phenol Family (1:14)
- 2.9 The Aldehyde Family (1:30)
- 2.10 The Ketone Family (0:56)
- 2.11 The Alkane Family (0:44)
- 2.12 The Alkene Family (1:24)
- 2.13 The Ester Family (1:30)
- 2.14 The Ether Family (0:58)
- 2.15 The Oxide Family (1:05)
- 2.16 The Phenylpropene Family (1:07)
- Quiz: Essential Oil Chemical Families
Module 3: Essential Oil Purity and the Importance of Testing
- 3.1 Essential Oil Purity (1:17)
- 3.2 What Is Contamination? (2:09)
- 3.3 What Is Adulteration? (9:36)
- Quiz: Contamination and Adulteration
- 3.4 Testing Essential Oils (2:53)
- 3.5 Identifying an Essential Oil's Chemistry (4:01)
- 3.6 Detecting Synthetic Chemicals (2:37)
- 3.7 Testing for Pesticides, Carrier Oils, and Other Contaminants (1:21)
- 3.8 Testing the Physical Characteristics of an Essential Oil (3:44)
- 3.9 Ruling out Any Contamination (1:08)
- 3.10 The Final Test: Stability Testing (1:17)
- 3.11 Not All Essential Oils Are Created Equal (4:40)
- Quiz: Testing Essential Oils